July 17, 2013

Pixel Painting - Dinosaur Land (Super Mario World)


This one was an early experiment in doing an entire scene, not just a sprite-on-background. It turned out really well, I think. In retrospect, I wish I had made the clouds whiter, because it's easy to lose them in the background buildings. Otherwise, I don't think I'd change anything.

But I probably won't ever touch the clouds up, because of the simple fact that painting dithering pixels sucks. A lot. Once per project is more than enough, and there was way more than I would have liked in this one.

I set all the sprite locations myself, and thankfully I made a final decision to put in that berry. It needed that splash of red. During the initial planning stages in my head, I figured Mario's hat would be enough. However, upon actually setting everything up, I was relatively surprised to find out that his hat is really three shades of pink. I suppose when he's so small on a TV while everything is moving and you're focusing on other things, it'd be easy not to notice something like that up front.

The whole painting is pretty big, too. It was definitely hard to let this one go.


Commissions are always welcome. Price varies based on the size and complexity of the sprite/scene. I moderate comments, so leave one with your contact email and request.

No comments:

Post a Comment